Games 4 Good Announces 2015 Partners!

KPI program participants

KPI program participants

The Games for Good Foundation (G4G) is pleased to announce the remainder (Coaches Across Continents partnership previously announced) of its 2015 partners. We are thrilled to partner with such inspirational organizations. Below, you will find a brief explanation of each project.

The Grassroots Project

Founded in 2009 by Tyler Spencer, a Georgetown University student-athlete and Rhodes Scholar, The Grassroots Project (TGP) is the first nonprofit organization led by NCAA Division I athletes, and it is the only sexual health education program for youth in DC that is designed and managed by young people.

TGP’s mission is to use sports and athlete role models as a platform to empower DC youth with the knowledge, skills, and support to lead healthy lives. TGP recruits and trains personable NCAA student-athletes from four local universities to conduct 8-week, sports-based sexual health education programs for over 100 students during middle school P.E. classes.

Beat the Streets

Beat the Streets Providence (BTSP) mission is to start scholastic wrestling teams in every Providence school with the aim of inspiring urban youth and addressing their needs in the after-school setting. It uses wrestling as a means to reach and develop students in Providence by working with communities and schools to keep students enrolled, engaged, and constantly learning the skills and attitudes necessary to thrive academically and socially.

Games 4 Good funds will be used to make equipment purchases for BTSP’s first high school program.

KPI

Founded by 3-time Olympian Tracy Evans in 2008, Kids Play International (KPI) uses sport to promote gender equity in communities impacted by the Rwandan genocide. With the goal of building a better community with a bigger purpose, KPI harnesses the power of sport and the Olympic value of Fair Play to inspire the next generation to positively change gender norms in Rwanda. Rooted in the belief that sport can be a powerful catalyst for social change, KPI’s programs embrace and teach the inspirational Fair Play attributes of: respect, community, contribution, opportunity and moral courage.

Games 4 Good is supporting “Let’s Play Fair” program activities which will reach 120 boys and girls aged 7-18 .

Sport 4 Socialization

In Zimbabwe, roughly1 million children and young adults have disabilities. Most disabilities in Zimbabwe are a result of preventable causes, yet disability is surrounded by stigma and myths. In 2014, Sport 4 Socialization seeks to increase physical fitness, mobility and the level of independence of 150 children with disabilities in Mutare District with fund donated by the Games 4 Good Foundation. In addition, it hopes to reduce stigma and raise awareness about disability while also providing valuable life skills.

Skateistan

Disabled Cambodian youth face significant social stigma, preventing them from participating in leisure activities and from accessing basic education and other public services.  Skateistan Cambodia seeks to combat this issue through the sport of skateboarding and an innovative educational curriculum.

G4G funding supports Skateistan’s Cambodia’s “Skate – Educate – Integrate” (SEI) program which works with 25-30 disabled youth per week. This program offers regular, structured weekly skateboarding instruction alongside an educational arts-based curriculum to youth with physical or cognitive disabilities. In the skate park, children of all backgrounds find a valuable platform for self-expression, creativity, goal setting and personal development. In the classroom, students use fine arts and multimedia to explore geography, world cultures, history, human rights, environmental studies, hygiene, storytelling and more. Lessons focus on giving youth tools to express themselves, think critically and solve problems in their local and global communities. Special community events and international multimedia and art exchanges with peers around the globe expand the students’ personal worlds.  Accessible to all levels of literacy and education, classes provide a forum for youth to develop friendships that overcome deep social barriers.